black lives matter
I stand in solidarity with BIPOC & allies in denouncing police brutality, racialized violence and systemic oppression in all forms. I may not always know the best actions to take, but I WILL take action and I will admit when I am wrong and learn from my mistakes.
Neurogastroenterology Nutritionist &
Mind-Body Psychospiritual Coach:
Specializing in the Gut-Brain(-Spirit) Axis
Why work with
It’s time to ditch anxiety and fear, feel powerful in your body, and confident in your ability to handle stress and food triggers without it hurling you into pain, discomfort, and digestive distress. It’s time to get to the root of your constipation, diarrhea, gas, and mood struggles and to trust yourself and your body. It’s time to stop comparing yourself to others and avoiding living life because of digestive challenges and bloating.
I get it. I struggled with a cranky belly for a long time too – plagued with food intolerances, strange symptoms like rashes, debilitating fatigue, and moodiness. Doctors didn’t know what to do with me. I had to heal my own IBS, restore my gut and brain health, and their communication to each other. I had to learn to love myself (dysbiosis and all), to set boundaries, to stand up for myself, and to stop taking in the emotions and pain of everyone/everything around me. You can get there too…
I help women connect to their body wisdom and restore their digestive health to overcome bloating, gas, irregular bowel habits, fatigue, brain fog, and anxiety. My unique approach blends Functional Medicine Nutrition, Psychospiritual Mental Health Coaching, and Energy Work to address the root cause of digestive dysfunction, support deep healing, and build resiliency, joy, and vitality.
"What if your digestive disorder is actually an opportunity to emerge more resilient, in joy, in love with life, and more powerful than ever?"
~ Kathleen Bauer~
What has changed for Kathleen
ON Deciding to Work Together...
My private practice for over a decade was focused on digestive health and the gut-brain axis, with very left-brain pursuits of tracking food consumption, creating meal plans, and measuring and evaluating blood, stool, saliva, and urine tests. Oh and cooking classes, of course. I was a steadfast believer that the key to all health is based on what we choose to eat and that this health can be measured and tracked by lab tests. I was wrong. I apologize for how many I have led on this path, instead of supporting you to create and follow your own.
Yes, digestive health is essential and I still focus on how we choose to nourish ourselves but see now that nourishment extends far beyond food, just as our health extends far beyond our body. That there is more to the gut-brain axis than food and dysbiosis-induced inflammation’s effect on the vagus nerve. That there is more to health than lab test results. There are so many lessons to be learned from dis-ease, from imbalances, from our cravings, from our twisting paths, from what we avoid and what we gravitate toward, from the choices we make and the effects they have on us, and from our stuck emotions and beliefs.
- What have you learned on your path? Why are you here? What is your soul telling you?
- What is your body crying out to teach you? Your bowel movements screaming at you? What is your digestive health reflecting from the rest of your life?
- What is the purpose of your feeling depressed, anxious, overwhelmed, stressed, in joy, at peace, carefree, and/or uncertain? What is the lesson? Are you learning or avoiding it?
- What does changing your health without changing the conditions mean for the path that you are on?
- What is your purpose? How are you living your passion? Where are your lessons and have you learned them?
- Do you use food to avoid your purpose? Is your inflammation a lesson, part of your path, or a distraction?
- What are you avoiding by avoiding food or a specific macronutrient? What hole are you trying to fill by over-eating? What are you really afraid of that food is a stand-in for?
- How is your gut a portal to your life understanding/your soul’s journey?
What are you doing about answering these questions – where are you focusing your energy? If you are stuck in dis-ease, in inflammation, in digestive distress, in anxiety, or depression, are you continuing to seek out the same solutions and getting the same results?
The health journey, whether through Western or functional medicine, is most often disheartening and soul-crushing. We are told over and over that we are wrong for what we are doing, how we are living, and what we are eating. We are scared of dying, aging, how our body looks, and health practitioners take advantage of those fears. Even if we do what they say, and change what we are “supposed” to change, are we actually living when coming from that fear?
I’ve reopened my private practice to new clients. If you’ve worked with me before – realize that a lot has changed for me in how I recognize health and what I offer:
- Will I still order and read your lab tests? Of course. Lab work does offer a marker of physical health understanding, but realize that lab tests only give us a snapshot of what is happening and are reading very limited markers of health and have nothing to do with happiness or living your passion, following your truth, or walking your journey.
- Will we still talk food? Of course. I love food. That hasn’t changed. I can talk about food and bowel movements, all day, every day with a gleam in my eye.
- Will I guide you in a cleanse? If that’s what you want but don’t expect our work to only be about food or the effects of inflammation on the body.
- Will I convince you to take a supplement, eat certain foods, avoid other foods, follow an eating plan or a specific workout, stop smoking, quit your job, leave the country, or divorce your family and “friends”? No, I won’t. I really don’t care what you choose. This is your journey, not mine that we are talking about, and only you know, deep inside, what needs to happen for you to unlock your soul’s purpose, for you to create vibrant energy and joy in your life, for you to raise your vibration and align your purpose with your cellular energy, and for you to not only digest nutrients but also to digest life.
Shit’s gettin’ real, son. I can be your guide, to help you unlock your truths, but I’m not going to tell you what to do other than to tell you to trust yourself and to listen, really listen to your intuition, to your body, to your true self, and to the guidance that is here for you through your ancestors, your soul’s lineage, through nature, through challenges, and yes, okay, through lab work too. It’s up to you whether you choose to heed that call of your own truth of what needs to happen. It is from heeding that call, from exploring our purpose, from living our passion, and from learning from our challenges (health and otherwise) that we can actually restore our health and take direction from ourselves.
DIVE IN! Food for the soul!
You did the lab detective work, nourish yourself through an anti-inflammatory diet, restored your gut integrity, healed your dysbiosis, and yet still struggle with digestive distress or pain. What’s left? What is especially useful for those of us experiencing digestive disorders or chronic pain to understand is that we may have a heightened stress response that is fueling our symptoms.
Cookies!!! YES! More specifically, chocolate chip cookies. Even more specifically, no-sugar, immune supportive, decadent balls of delicious healthy fatty goodness. Use this chocolate chip cookie dough for baked cookies (with a Mexican Wedding Cookie-type consistency), for home-made ice cream, or for just plain ol’ eatin’ of the raw dough deliciousness.
Nourished Health Anti-Racism and Anti-Discrimination Action Plan: Behavioral Health and Mental Health Coaching
I am saddened and disgusted by the ongoing police brutality and the rising death toll of the Black community as the result of racism, racist policing, and racist policies of the US. This article shares my commitment to end my part in supporting institutionalized racism of the mental health field and what actions I am committed to taking as an anti-racist provider and company.
Finding certainty in nature is one of the best ways to ground ourselves right now. We need only to look at the moon to be reminded that we have certainty, we have grounding, we have continuity that isn’t going away no matter how much the rest of our world changes.
How to Take Back Control: What I’m Doing to Stay Healthy During this Time of Uncertainty That You Can Do Too
During times of uncertainty, it is essential that we carve out things that we can control so that we aren’t choosing unhealthy patterns of control.