Working with Katie Bauer
The way that Katie Bauer works with clients differs considerably from the conventional medical model you may be accustomed to. Please read the following information thoroughly to familiarize yourself with the process. A section at the end describes the fee structure.
As a new client, our work together is broken into two phases–The Case Review and Ongoing Support
Phase One: The Case Review
The Case Review is the first step for all new clients. The Case Review process is designed to save money and time in the long-term by performing the appropriate diagnostic testing and evaluation. A cornerstone of the approach is “test, don’t guess.” Identifying the underlying patterns contributing to disease is the key to a successful and lasting outcome.
The Case Review serves several purposes. It enables Katie to more accurately estimate how long your program will last, what it will include and how much it will cost. It gives you the chance to ask any questions you may have about your condition and what you should expect. And it provides an opportunity for us to get to know each other and determine if our clinic is a good fit for you over the long-term.
The Case Review process includes three steps, which are described below.
Case Review, Step One: Strategy Session
The Strategy Session is a 15-30 minute phone appointment
This appointment has two purposes: to make sure that Katie has access to all of the information needed to gain a comprehensive understanding of many of the factors affecting your health, and to give you a head start before we meet.
After the call, you will be provided with the Case Review health history paperwork to complete. It is important that you spend time and energy completing these intake forms, as they are vital in helping Katie understand your case.
This paperwork includes:
- A detailed health and medical history questionnaire
- A survey of your chief complaints and most important health goals
- An assessment of your most troubling and frequently experienced symptoms
- A diet survey and questionnaire
- A survey of your current supplements and medications
- You will also be asked to provide all of your relevant prior lab work from within the last year or two.
All of the paperwork must be completed and emailed, faxed or mailed to Nourished Health Center and received at least three days prior to your Case Review Consultation.
Case Review, Step Two: Initial In-Depth Consultation
The Case Review Consultation is a 60-90 minute video Skype or in office appointment
Prior to the consultation, Katie will review your symptoms survey, medical history, supplements/medications, your diet log, assessment forms and relevant prior lab work.
During your consultation, Katie will present you with a Report of Findings as well as your Health Recovery Plan. She will also review with you all of your test results and answer your questions.
Your Health Recovery Plan is broken into three parts:
- A summary of expected underlying patterns that are contributing to your symptoms
- An outline of the suggested Health Recovery Plan, including in-depth dietary, supplement and lifestyle recommendations for the next month
- Lab tests to be ordered, as needed
The exact lab testing ordered depends on your individual circumstances and what testing you’ve already completed, but may include:
- A comprehensive blood chemistry panel. This is the single most efficient, effective and affordable tool for quickly evaluating your health. It screens for a wide range of conditions, including several types of anemia; gut, viral and bacterial infections; insulin resistance and hypoglycemia; liver and kidney issues; and thyroid and adrenal problems. It offers important clues for how to structure and focus your support and education to get the best results. And it provides a baseline of biomarkers that can be used to objectively track your progress over time.
- Additional blood tests for specific conditions, such as high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, autoimmune disease screenings, food sensitivities and allergies.
- Advanced stool testing to screen for parasites, fungal overgrowth, bacterial infections, intestinal inflammation, dysbiosis and a deficiency of beneficial gut bacteria.
- Small intestine breath testing to screen for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
- Urine organic acids testing to screen for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, fungal overgrowth, problems metabolizing fat or carbohydrate, B-vitamin status, methylation issues, detoxification capacity, oxidative stress, and neurotransmitter metabolism.
- Urine hormone testing for adrenal and sex hormone status.
- Mineral Analysis to screen for nutrient deficiencies.
Case Review, Step Three: Follow-Up
Follow-up includes two components:
1. Weekly email and/or Text Message check-ins between the Initial In-Depth Consultation and the Follow-Up Consultation to provide support and redirection as needed during this initial 1 month+ Health Recovery Plan. This also includes an ongoing review of your diet log and symptoms during this time.
2. The Follow-Up Consultation is a 60 minute phone, Skype or Office appointment that occurs after your next lab results come in (assuming new ones were ordered) and at least one month after the Initial In-Depth Consultation to give you time to implement the first phase of your Health Recovery Plan. If labs were ordered, the Follow-Up Consultation typically occurs between 45 and 60 days after the Initial Consultation, because some of the labs take up to 4 weeks to deliver the results after receiving your sample. While you wait for your labs to come back, you will be implementing your 1st month in your Health Recovery Plan, doing the weekly check-ins and making forward progress. During the Follow-Up Appointment, the following can be expected:
- A discussion with you about your new lab results and what they mean
- Discuss the results of where you are at with your Health Recovery Plan (the 30+ days of dietary, lifestyle and supplement changes you’ve been enacting)
- Discuss with you a revision of your Health Recovery Plan based on finding from lab results and the results of the last 30+ days.
- Recommendations for further testing (this will typically be minimal, if necessary at all, because of the completeness of the Case Review process)
Phase Two: Ongoing Support
Once the Case Review is complete, you’ll have follow-up appointments on an as-needed basis throughout the remainder of your Health Recovery Plan.
The first follow-up appointment generally occurs between four and ten weeks after your Case Review Follow-Up Consultation. At that time, Katie will review your progress on the Health Recovery Plan, along with any follow-up test results, and make additional recommendations as necessary.
From there, the frequency of your follow-up appointments will depend upon the severity of your condition as well as your response to the Plan.
You may schedule follow-up appointments to be held in person at Nourished Health Center in Denver, or have them on the phone or via Skype.
Case Review (Phase 1) Fees
The Case Review is the fastest and most efficient way to determine the underlying causes of your health problems and design an effective, individualized Health Recovery Plan. While a Case Review may cost more than a typical initial visit to a physician covered by health insurance, it is designed to save you money and time over the long-term by performing the appropriate testing and evaluation.
Here is a breakdown of the costs involved in the Case Review, with an outline of when fees are billed so you can plan accordingly:
Initial Strategy Session: Complimentary. Includes the 15-30-minute phone appointment and Case Review preparation. Besides information gathering, this is an opportunity for us to determine whether we should work together.
Initial In-Depth Consultation: $250. Includes the 60-90-minute phone, Skype or In-Person appointment, Report of Findings, Dietary/Supplement/Lifestyle Guidelines for the next month and Case Review preparation. This session includes a significant amount of time for Katie to review all of your assessments, your health history and your lab work, as well as to create your Initial Findings Report and your Health Recovery Plan, before the actual appointment takes place, as such, this session is billed prior to the appointment, at the time it is made.
Follow-Up: $250. Includes ongoing online/Text Message support to answer questions and to support implementation of the first phase of your Health Recovery Plan. Also includes a follow-up phone, Skype or In-Person appointment, a new Report of Findings and a revision of your Health Recovery Plan. This is billed at the end of your Initial In-Depth Consultation Appointment.
Laboratory Tests: The fee for laboratory tests ordered during the case review process is typically $600–$1,500 depending on complexity of condition and level of diagnostics required. These can be ordered through Katie or your Primary Care provider. Clients are offered laboratory test fees at cost, with no mark-up to make them as affordable as possible.
Supplements: The fee for supplements that are part of your Health Recovery Plan is typically $150–$300/month. You will have the opportunity to approve or decline the supplements before you are charged for them. All clients are offered a 20% discount on any Practitioner-Only brands that are not available at retail outlets, indefinitely.
Insurance Information can be found here.
Ongoing Support (Phase 2) Fees
$145: 30-60 min follow-up appointments can be done in-person, or via phone or Skype. They include any email/text support for that month.