Through captivating speaking engagements, seminars, employee wellness programs and coaching programs, Katie can show your group how to develop sustainable, healthy habits. Her speaking style is warm, engaging and dynamic and she is well-versed in connecting with her audience in an authentic, meaningful way. Long before Katie went into natural health, becoming a Clinical Herbalist, a Healing Foods Chef and a Holistic Nutritionist, she received a Master’s Degree in Communication. Long before she was educating about restoring digestive health, she was an educator, teaching Public Speaking at California State University Long Beach and coaching high school and college public speaking and debate teams. She loves to make her audience laugh, discuss the taboo topics of health and support her audience to restore their digestive health; extinguish the fires of inflammation; and manage chronic illness and autoimmune disease through diet. Whether her audience is employees required to attend her presentation or a group of health practitioners seeking continuing education, attendees always leave feeling more empowered to create change in their own health or those of their patients and clients.
Regularly Offered Presentation Topics:
Eat for Health: Click to Show/Hide Description
Even though we want to eat right, we are often busy and rushed, depending on convenient and fast rather than healthful and wholesome. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to eat for health in a way that won’t “break the bank,” tastes great and is not time exhaustive. You’ll learn some surprising, seemingly healthy foods that are energy suckers and promote weight gain and which foods to add in (and when to eat them) to increase your vitality, digestive health and metabolism.
- There is no “one size fits all” for nutrition, learn how to individualize it
- Learn what foods to eat more of and what foods to avoid.
- Learn when to eat to optimize your digestion, metabolism and blood sugar regulation
- Stress destroys digestive health and promotes weight gain. Learn how to eat in the parasympathetic.
- Determine whether you are an emotional eater and learn the tools to eat for the right reasons.
- Understand how much to eat for optimal health
Are You Tired of Being Tired? Awaken Your Energy and Live!: Click to Show/Hide Description
Fatigue can be overcome and energy can be restored. Regardless of the form of fatigue that you experience, be it chronic (such as chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, Addison’s or adrenal fatigue) or acute (such as adrenal stress or cohabitating tiredness from stress, medication, chemotherapy, overwork, depression, hypothyroidism, menopause or imbalanced gut health), there is hope. Lack of energy can interfere with daily life, making it difficult to perform daily routines and achieve goals. Low energy may manifest as fatigue, tiredness, inability to think clearly, problems focusing, sleepiness, insomnia, anxiety, lack of motivation, depression, sleep disturbances, inability to cope with stress, intolerance for noise, moodiness, heart palpitations, fear and more. Your resilience to stress, your vitality, your endurance and even your very happiness all depend upon the proper functioning of your adrenal glands. In addition to learning about the anti-inflammatory diet, you will learn which specific foods are beneficial for your adrenal glands and restoring the energy in your cells and which foods are energy robbers. Most importantly, we will discuss time- and energy-saving techniques in the kitchen so that eating healthy restores your energy stores, not depletes them. Optionally, included in this presentation is a food demonstration that exemplifies how food should produce not lower energy.
Better Brain Function—No More Brain Fog: Click to Show/Hide Description
Brain fog may manifest as mental confusion, lack of mental clarity, forgetfulness and attention problems (including ADHD). Brain fog makes work, school and relationships difficult. The result is often detachment, discouragement, low self-esteem, depression, problems holding down jobs, low grades, frustration and unhappiness in relationships.
In this presentation we discuss the factors that may be contributing to or resulting in brain fog and lowered brain performance. Without removing the conditions that result in brain fog in the first place, no health intervention will fully succeed.
Included in the presentation is a food demonstration utilizing healthy brain and mood foods.
Gluten Free-Dom: Understanding Celiac Disease and Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity: Click to Show/Hide Description
One in 100 people have celiac disease and the incidence of gluten sensitivity may be more than 1 in 3! People with celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity cannot tolerate gluten containing grains, such as wheat, rye, barley and spelt. While we think of problems with gluten manifesting as digestive problems, only about one in 10-15 people have symptoms that manifest in the digestive system. Others experience it as depression, inability to focus, skin issues and much, much more.
- Understand more about celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity, the differences and the problems they each cause
- Learn how to test yourself and your family for gluten sensitivity
- Find out where gluten is hidden in our foods
- Hear about creative recipes that don’t contain any grains
- Explore grain-free options to lower inflammation
- Learn what tests to ask your doctor to order to discover if you or your family has celiac disease or gluten sensitivity
- Learn about how celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity develops and what you can do to avoid developing it
- Learn ways to restore gut integrity to prevent developing new and additional food sensitivities/intolerances
- Understand how to be healthy while living the gluten free lifestyle and what gluten free foods should be avoided
- Learn how to eat out while gluten free
Maximizing Digestive Health: Click to Show/Hide Description
Scientists now recognize that the intestinal tract plays a key role in health, other than just digesting what you eat and getting rid of waste products. In fact, how well your body absorbs nutrients from your food affects everything from your energy level and moods, to your immunity against everyday illnesses and serious diseases. One third to one half of all adults have digestive illness—more than 62 million people. Digestive diseases comprise the third largest category of illness in the U.S., with a cost of $87 billion in direct medical costs and an additional $20 billion from the resulting 229 million days of lost productivity.
- Learn how to go beyond symptom treatment and address the real causes of your condition
- Self-tests, questionnaires and workbook-style exercises will help you get to know your digestive system
- Understand how certain foods, common medications and lifestyle choices can compromise digestive wellness
- Learn how to shop, cook, and eat for optimal digestive health
- Comprehend the best fasting and detoxification programs that cleanse and heal your body safely and effectively
- Discover natural therapies for every common digestive problem, and for conditions exacerbated by faulty digestion, such as arthritis, asthma, fibromyalgia, eczema, and migraines
- How stress taxes digestive wellness and compromises immunity
- Environmental stressors and how to avoid them
- How to improve digestion through mindfulness techniques related to food consumption
Conquering Pain Through Diet and Lifestyle Changes: Click to Show/Hide Description
Whether you have an autoimmune or degenerative form of arthritis, fibromyalgia, headaches or other chronic pain, the Anti-Inflammatory Diet will benefit you. Inflammation is at the root of all pain and decreasing the inflammation in your body will decrease pain intensity and prevalence. Additionally, inflammation triggers an immune cascade that can re-engage the body in attacking its own tissues and joints. In this workshop, in addition to learning about the anti-inflammatory diet, you will learn which specific foods are beneficial and which foods may trigger arthritis flares. Check out this article, to learn more about overcoming pain and to get a preview of what is discussed in this workshop.
How to Detox for Optimal Health: Learn the most important way you can improve your health this year: Click to Show/Hide Description
We consume about 14 pounds of harmful food additives every year and are exposed to about 100 chemicals a day. When your liver and other detoxification organs get so overtaxed that they can’t do their job properly, you need to do an inner cleansing. Learn:
- Why and when to detox/cleanse
- The 4 keys to doing a safe and healthy detox method right for your own needs and bio-individuality
- What to expect during a detoxification program
- How the body’s detoxification channels work (or don’t work)
- A questionnaire to find out if you need a professionally administered detox program
- How to combine a cleanse with an elimination diet
- How to end the cleanse/detox safely
- How long to cleanse/fast, based on individual needs
- Healthy, tasty recipes for a safe cleanse/detox
- How to combine nutritional cleansing with lifestyle changes
Food Sensitivities–The Hidden Culprit: Find out if everyday foods in your diet may be making you sick: Click to Show/Hide Description
Often undiagnosed, food sensitivities can be responsible for a surprising host of adult and childhood symptoms: chronic runny noses, migraines/headaches, depression, brain fog, arthritis, autoimmune illnesses, rectal itching, autism, digestive issues, attention deficit disorder, eczema and other skin problems, behavior and learning difficulties, autism, mood swings, recurring ear infections and much, much more. Learn:
- How food allergies and food sensitivities differ
- How to address arthritis, migraines, fibromyalgia, asthma, ADD, chronic fatigue syndrome, eczema, psoriasis and more with dietary changes
- Best tests to discover food sensitivities and what to do once you identify the food culprits
- Best supplements to help heal your gut
- Strategies for eliminating specific foods from your diet
- Find out how to do an elimination diet to determine if your’s or your child’s health issues are related to food sensitivities
- Learn that 2/3 of the immune system is located in the digestive system
- Gluten, dairy, eggs, soy and corn are the biggest food culprits. Find out why and what to replace them with.
- Learn how glutamine, probiotic bacteria and digestive enzymes can strengthen your immune and digestive system, resolving many health issues
- Learn how to make pizza, tacos and breads without any allergenic ingredients
- Find out how to work around your child’s specific needs by being more creative with food
Change the Way You Feel: Customize your own wellness prescription for digestive health: Click to Show/Hide Description
The digestive system is self-running and self-healing, you may just need some simple guidance to help your body reach its own natural balance by:
- Assessing your digestive strengths and weaknesses
- Supporting your body’s beneficial bacteria
- Eliminating toxins with nutritional healing
- Conducting a 4R Protocol:
- Remove (allergens/toxins/organisms)
- Replace (acid, enzymes, bile)
- Re-Inoculate (Pre and Probiotics)
- Repair (inflammation, absorption, immunity)
Undernourished, Overfed: Is our American diet contributing to an epidemic of digestive illness?: Click to Show/Hide Description
Sixty to seventy million Americans have digestive diseases, directly related to America’s high-calorie, nutrient-poor diet. Learn:
- How to find out if the foods you eat are making you sick
- Best tests to measure how well your digestive system is working
- How to make small changes in diet, exercise and lifestyle habits to improve digestive health
- Foods that relieve conditions such as bad breath, gastric reflux, heartburn and ulcers
Good Bugs, Bad Bugs: Why you should care about your body’s “good” bacteria: Click to Show/Hide Description
You have ten times as many bacteria in your body as you do cells. Because, collectively, they act almost like another organ, performing important functions for your health, it’s critical to take proper care of them. Find out:
- How to support gut bacteria that produce anti-carcinogenic substances and protect from food poisoning and infection
- How stress, antibiotics, hormones, poor diet and overuse of alcohol can upset beneficial microbial balance
- Conditions caused by good bug/bad bug imbalance; including migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, fatigue, eczema, constipation and diarrhea
- Self-care tips for restoring intestinal flora
How to Keep a Food Diary: Discover how your diet may be contributing to your health issues: Click to Show/Hide Description
Learn a simple journaling exercise you can do to find out how your eating habits are affecting your overall health. Discover:
- A simple way to chart your food and eating
- Questions to ask about your recorded observations
- How food journaling can identify red flags
Nutrition During and After Cancer: Click to Show/Hide Description
“It appears that diet has its most significant effects AFTER the cancer has already formed, acting to inhibit or stimulate the growth of that cancer.” [David Heber, MD, PhD] In 1988, Harold Foster, PhD, of the University of Victoria, British Columbia, reviewed 200 cases of “spontaneous regression” of cancer, and found that 87% of these people had made major dietary changes before their dramatic improvement occurred. [Foster, Int J Biosoc Res, 1988;10(1):17-33]. According to the National Cancer Institute, about one-third of all cancer deaths are related to malnutrition. Workshop participants will leave understanding:
- Nutritional information for making delicious and easy dietary changes to support healthy digestion, reduce oxidation and incorporate more nutrient dense foods to support recovery from cancer
- More about their digestive system
- How cancers and cancer treatments implicate the digestive system
- How oxidation is connected to cancer and cancer treatments
- How to reduce oxidation, restore digestive health and choose foods to reduce oxidation, strengthen digestion and support detoxification pathways.
Time: Workshop can be presented in 1 hour, 2 hours, ½ day or full day format. Click here for more info on formats.
Stocking a Health-Conscious Kitchen: Click to Show/Hide Description
Even though we want to eat right, parents are busy and rushed. We often depend on convenient and fast rather than healthful and wholesome. Katie will explain how you can have both. Find out how to shop for and make foods that you’ll feel great about and that your children will love to eat.
- Organic or not? Find out which foods should always be bought organic and which foods can be purchased conventionally treated to save money
- The classes of foods to toss from your cupboards, refrigerator and freezer
- Tips for restocking your kitchen healthfully
- Tricks and traps of healthy food shopping
- A shopping list for the health-conscious eater
- Worst foods to stock in your house, and healthy alternatives for these
- Learn to be a food sleuth. Read food labels like a pro (what those unpronounceable ingredients really mean)
Raising Healthy Children: Click to Show/Hide Description
Bad eating habits and poor health of children set our children up to be unhealthy adults, with poor memory, low energy and hormone problems. According to the Surgeon General, thirteen percent of children aged six to eleven years, and 14 percent of adolescents and teenagers are overweight. Colorado may be the healthiest state, but our rates of childhood obesity are rising faster than any other state! Set your children up for life-long health and longevity now.
- Find out how unhealthy eating patterns contribute to childhood obesity and poor brain development/control
- Gain practical strategies for encourage your children to eat healthier
- Learn the foods that all children need to be eating to optimize their growth and brain health
- Learn the surprising “kid-friendly” foods that are endangering your children’s health
- Understand how soft drinks and sweetened beverages contribute to obesity, bone loss, diabetes, and heart disease in our children
- Learn how stress impacts our children’s health and weight
The length of the presentation can be tailored to the needs of your group from quick 30 minute introductions to weekend long workshops that provide more topic depth. All presentations one hour or longer can include one or more cooking demonstrations on the topic with a maximum of one per hour of presentation time. The topics above are commonly provided topics, which also makes them great short-notice topics, but other topic suggestions for presentations are always welcome!
Benefits of Nutrition Presentations for Employees Include…
Increased stamina, productivity and focus through blood sugar regulation
Lower levels of stress through mindful eating
Increased well-being, self-image and self-esteem through eating healthier
Reduced employee absenteeism and illness through immune system support
Nutrition directly impacts nearly every aspect of physical and mental health. A healthy diet can help protect against such conditions as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, stroke, certain cancers and depression.
Nutrition Education Return on Investment
A U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report in 2002 revealed that at worksites with nutrition and physical activity programs, employers have:
Reduced healthcare costs by 20 to 55 percent
Reduced short-term sick leave by six to 32 percent
Increased productivity by two to 52 percent
The American Journal of Health Promotion estimates:
The cost of obesity to U.S. employer to exceed $12.5 billion in health care, sick leave, and life and disability insurance.
Study sited indicates obesity raises healthcare costs by 36% and medication costs by 77%.
Katie has Provided Workshops for These Organizations and Businesses: