Through captivating speaking engagements, seminars, and coaching programs, I can show your group how to develop sustainable healthy habits. My speaking style is warm, engaging and dynamic and I’m well versed in connecting with an audience in an authentic, meaningful way.
The length of the presentation can be tailored to the needs of your group from quick 30 minute introductions to weekend long workshops that provide more topic depth. All presentations 1 hour or longer can be accompanied by one or more cooking demonstrations on the topic with a maximum of one per hour of presentation time.
These are the presentations I regularly offer that are ready to be provided at short-notice with handouts and presentation slides (if desired):
Eat For Health
Even though we want to eat right, we are often busy and rushed, depending on convenient and fast rather than healthful and wholesome. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to eat for health in a way that won’t “break the bank,” tastes great and is not time exhaustive. You’ll learn some surprising, seemingly healthy foods that are energy suckers and promote weight gain and which foods to add in (and when to eat them) to increase your vitality, digestive health and metabolism.
- Who: There is no “one size fits all” for nutrition, learn how to individualize it
- What: Learn what foods to eat more of and what foods to avoid.
- When: Learn when to eat to optimize your digestion, metabolism and blood sugar regulation
- Where: Stress destroys digestive health and promotes weight gain. Learn how to eat in the parasympathetic.
- Why: Determine whether you are an emotional eater and learn the tools to eat for the right reasons.
- How: Understand how much to eat for optimal health
Are You Tired of Being Tired? Awaken Your Energy and Live!
Lack of energy can interfere with daily life, making it difficult to perform daily routines and achieve goals. Low energy may manifest as fatigue, tiredness, inability to think clearly, problems focusing, sleepiness, insomnia, anxiety, lack of motivation, depression, sleep disturbances, inability to cope with stress, intolerance for noise, moodiness, heart palpitations, fear and more.
At its most innocuous and at early stages, low energy is caused by daily demands combined with a series of unhealthy habits. However, chronic fatigue or low energy can be induced by a variety of concerns. In this presentation we discuss the factors that result in fatigue and how to overcome those challenges. Without removing the conditions that resulted in fatigue in the first place, no health intervention will fully succeed.
Included in the presentation is a food demonstration that exemplifies how food should produce not lower energy.
Better Brain Function—No More Brain Fog
Brain fog may manifest as mental confusion, lack of mental clarity, forgetfulness and attention problems (including ADHD). Brain fog makes work, school and relationships difficult. The result is often detachment, discouragement, low self-esteem, depression, problems holding down jobs, low grades, frustration and unhappiness in relationships.
In this presentation we discuss the factors that may be contributing to or resulting in brain fog and lowered brain performance. Without removing the conditions that result in brain fog in the first place, no health intervention will fully succeed.
Included in the presentation is a food demonstration utilizing healthy brain and mood foods.
Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance
One in 100 people have celiac disease and the incidence of gluten intolerance may be as much as one in 10! People with celiac disease and non-celiac gluten intolerance cannot tolerate gluten containing grains, such as wheat, rye, barley and spelt. While we think of problems with gluten manifesting as digestive problems, only about one in 10-15 people have symptoms that manifest in the digestive system. Others experience it as depression, inability to focus, skin issues and much, much more.
- Understand more about celiac disease and non-celiac gluten intolerance, the differences and the problems they each cause
- Learn how to test yourself and your family for gluten intolerance by a simple home test
- Find out where gluten is hidden in our foods
- Hear about creative recipes for pizza, muffins, breads, and more that don’t contain any grains
- Learn how to use other grains, such as quinoa, millet, buckwheat, wild rice and rice of all types
- Learn what tests to ask your doctor to order to discover if you or your family has celiac disease or gluten intolerance
- Learn about how celiac disease and non-celiac gluten intolerance develops and what you can do to avoid developing it
- Learn ways to restore gut integrity to prevent developing new and additional food sensitivities/intolerances
- Understand how to be healthy while living the gluten free lifestyle and what gluten free foods should be avoided
- Learn how to eat out while gluten free
Maximizing Digestive Health
Scientists now recognize that the intestinal tract plays a key role in health, other than just digesting what you eat and getting rid of waste products. In fact, how well your body absorbs nutrients from your food affects everything from your energy level and moods, to your immunity against everyday illnesses and serious diseases. One third to one half of all adults have digestive illness—more than 62 million people. Digestive diseases comprise the third largest category of illness in the U.S., with a cost of $87 billion in direct medical costs and an additional $20 billion from the resulting 229 million days of lost productivity.
- Learn how to go beyond symptom treatment and address the real causes of your condition
- Self-tests, questionnaires and workbook-style exercises will help you get to know your digestive system
- Understand how certain foods, common medications and lifestyle choices can compromise digestive wellness
- Learn how to shop, cook, and eat for optimal digestive health
- Comprehend the best fasting and detoxification programs that cleanse and heal your body safely and effectively
- Discover natural therapies for every common digestive problem, and for conditions exacerbated by faulty digestion, such as arthritis, asthma, fibromyalgia, eczema, and migraines
How to Detox for Optimal Health: Learn the most important way you can improve your health this year
We consume about 14 pounds of harmful food additives every year and are exposed to about 100 chemicals a day. When your liver and other detoxification organs get so overtaxed that they can’t do their job properly, you need to do an inner cleansing. Learn:
- Why and when to detox/cleanse
- The 4 keys to doing a safe and healthy detox method right for your own needs and bio-individuality
- What to expect during a detoxification program
- How the body’s detoxification channels work (or don’t work)
- A questionnaire to find out if you need a professionally administered detox program
- How to combine a cleanse with an elimination diet
- How to end the cleanse/detox safely
- How long to cleanse/fast, based on individual needs
- Healthy, tasty recipes for a safe cleanse/detox
- How to combine nutritional cleansing with lifestyle changes
Stress and Your Gut: Overcome stress, one of the leading causes of digestive problems
Reducing stress enhances the health of your whole body, including the digestive system. Understand:
- How stress taxes digestive wellness and compromises immunity
- Environmental stressors and how to avoid them
- How to improve digestion through mindfulness techniques related to food consumption
Food Sensitivities–The Hidden Culprit: Find out if everyday foods in your diet may be making you sick
Often undiagnosed, food sensitivities can be responsible for a surprising host of adult and childhood symptoms: chronic runny noses, migraines/headaches, depression, brain fog, arthritis, autoimmune illnesses, rectal itching, autism, digestive issues, attention deficit disorder, eczema and other skin problems, behavior and learning difficulties, autism, mood swings, recurring ear infections and much, much more. Learn:
- How food allergies and food sensitivities differ
- How to address arthritis, migraines, fibromyalgia, asthma, ADD, chronic fatigue syndrome, eczema, psoriasis and more with dietary changes
- Best tests to discover food sensitivities and what to do once you identify the food culprits
- Best supplements to help heal your gut
- Strategies for eliminating specific foods from your diet
- Find out how to do an elimination diet to determine if your’s or your child’s health issues are related to food sensitivities
- Learn that 2/3 of the immune system is located in the digestive system
- Gluten, dairy, eggs, soy and corn are the biggest food culprits. Find out why and what to replace them with.
- Learn how glutamine, probiotic bacteria and digestive enzymes can strengthen your immune and digestive system, resolving many health issues
- Learn how to make pizza, tacos and muffins without any allergenic ingredients
- Find out how to work around your child’s specific needs by being more creative with food
Change the Way You Feel: Customize your own wellness prescription for digestive health
The digestive system is self-running and self-healing, you may just need some simple guidance to help your body reach its own natural balance by:
- Assessing your digestive strengths and weaknesses
- Supporting your body’s beneficial bacteria
- Eliminating toxins with nutritional healing
- Conducting a 4R Protocol:
- Remove (allergens/toxins/organisms)
- Replace (acid, enzymes, bile)
- Re-Inoculate (Pre and Probiotics)
- Repair (inflammation, absorption, immunity)
Undernourished, Overfed: Is our American diet contributing to an epidemic of digestive illness?
Sixty to seventy million Americans have digestive diseases, directly related to America’s high-calorie, nutrient-poor diet. Learn:
- How to find out if the foods you eat are making you sick
- Best tests to measure how well your digestive system is working
- How to make small changes in diet, exercise and lifestyle habits to improve digestive health
- Foods that relieve conditions such as bad breath, gastric reflux, heartburn and ulcers
Good Bugs, Bad Bugs: Why you should care about your body’s “good” bacteria
You have ten times as many bacteria in your body as you do cells. Because, collectively, they act almost like another organ, performing important functions for your health, it’s critical to take proper care of them. Find out:
- How to support gut bacteria that produce anti-carcinogenic substances and protect from food poisoning and infection
- How stress, antibiotics, hormones, poor diet and overuse of alcohol can upset beneficial microbial balance
- Conditions caused by good bug/bad bug imbalance; including migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, fatigue, eczema, constipation and diarrhea
- Self-care tips for restoring intestinal flora
How to Keep a Food Diary: Discover how your diet may be contributing to your health issues
Learn a simple journaling exercise you can do to find out how your eating habits are affecting your overall health. Discover:
- A simple way to chart your food and eating
- Questions to ask about your recorded observations
- How food journaling can identify red flags
Nutrition During and After Cancer
“It appears that diet has its most significant effects AFTER the cancer has already formed, acting to inhibit or stimulate the growth of that cancer.” [David Heber, MD, PhD] In 1988, Harold Foster, PhD, of the University of Victoria, British Columbia, reviewed 200 cases of “spontaneous regression” of cancer, and found that 87% of these people had made major dietary changes before their dramatic improvement occurred. [Foster, Int J Biosoc Res, 1988;10(1):17-33]. According to the National Cancer Institute, about one-third of all cancer deaths are related to malnutrition. Workshop participants will leave understanding:
- Nutritional information for making delicious and easy dietary changes to support healthy digestion, reduce oxidation and incorporate more nutrient dense foods to support recovery from cancer
- More about their digestive system
- How cancers and cancer treatments implicate the digestive system
- How oxidation is connected to cancer and cancer treatments
- How to reduce oxidation, restore digestive health and choose foods to reduce oxidation, strengthen digestion and support detoxification pathways.
Time: Workshop can be presented in 1 hour, 2 hours, ½ day or full day format. Click here for more info on formats.
Stocking a health-Conscious kitchen
Even though we want to eat right, parents are busy and rushed. We often depend on convenient and fast rather than healthful and wholesome. Katie will explain how you can have both. Find out how to shop for and make foods that you’ll feel great about and that your children will love to eat.
- Organic or not? Find out which foods should always be bought organic and which foods can be purchased conventionally treated to save money
- The classes of foods to toss from your cupboards, refrigerator and freezer
- Tips for restocking your kitchen healthfully
- Tricks and traps of healthy food shopping
- A shopping list for the health-conscious eater
- Worst foods to stock in your house, and healthy alternatives for these
- Learn to be a food sleuth. Read food labels like a pro (what those unpronounceable ingredients really mean)
Raising Healthy Children
Bad eating habits and poor health of children set our children up to be unhealthy adults, with poor memory, low energy and hormone problems. According to the Surgeon General, thirteen percent of children aged six to eleven years, and 14 percent of adolescents and teenagers are overweight. Colorado may be the healthiest state, but our rates of childhood obesity are rising faster than any other state! Set your children up for life-long health and longevity now.
- Find out how unhealthy eating patterns contribute to childhood obesity and poor brain development/control
- Gain practical strategies for encourage your children to eat healthier
- Learn the foods that all children need to be eating to optimize their growth and brain health
- Learn the surprising “kid-friendly” foods that are endangering your children’s health
- Understand how soft drinks and sweetened beverages contribute to obesity, bone loss, diabetes, and heart disease in our children
- Learn how stress impacts our children’s health and weight